Friday, September 28, 2007

EXPRESS LANE: 8 ITEMS OR BELOW

Express Lanes for 8 items and below - we see these signboards everyday at shopping malls and supermarkets. We all should clearly and explicitly understand that the lanes are for customers with 8 items and below. The signboards and sentences also have been translated carefully to Malay, Indian, and Chinese languages. So, whats the issue here?

Well, I noticed that many of the customers and buyers dont even care! Either they dont understand, cant read, dont have the patience, or simply dont bother at all. Is this what daily customers and buyers show to others? Is there no courtesy or no manners being held here? I see customers with trolleys full of goods lining up at the express lanes and customers holding a basket full of goods also at the express lanes. All of them have 10 items and above. What about those customers and buyers that simply came to buy a drink or buy few items? They have to wait for a long time just to buy those few items. This is such a disgrace to see how the everyday consumers and buyers are simply ignoring signboards and do what they think is best and fastest for them.

Oh well, nothing much can be done as no one seem to take necessary actions. So be it then. They dont seem to learn. Is this what we all have to face everyday? Time can only tell.
Enough said for now.

6 comments:

shumaky said...

Ok-ok.. I could be one of them, but I gotta admit, I've got a strong case to argue here. Does 10 packs of Maggie Mee of the same kind, 3 bottle of Coke, 1 case of Carlsberg, 2 tubs of Rocky Road, and 5 trays of eggs. Are they 8 items or less or what..?
To me they are coz I've got 5 items there ony. They are the same item of a kind with the same pricing, so it should not be scanned through the conveyor belt. The cashier can scan 1 of the item n times it with the quantity that I've taken.

So do I have a valid case here..?

Syaf said...

It's kinda sad that people do not follow what the sign says. It can cause inconvenience to people just dropping by the supermarket to buy a bottle of water or a bag of potato chips...

I have experienced a situation where this lady was carrying more than 10 items (in carrefour, it's ten items for the express lane) and this other lady politely asked her to go to the other lanes because that lady was carrying more than 10 items.

it's great people now have the nerve to voice out. personally, i will just keep quiet. i know it's bad, but i seriously do not want to stir some scene in the supermarket...

nice post :)

ken said...

To shumaky: 10 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 5 = 21 items no matter same or different. We are looking at number of items being bought, not at the total ammount of the same items. Remember that Express Lanes usually dont have conveyor belts and only a small space of tray. Remember also that not all cashiers will multiply the items by quantity, as they will still scan each item by item and that totals 21 items to scan. Thats not express at all. 21 items will need to go to the normal cashier lanes and not express lanes, and I believe that you will be using a trolley to carry all those 21 items instead of using a handbasket. I believed I made myself a valid reply. You do have a valid case, but I dont see your case into real considerations.

ken said...

To syaf: Yes, it is sad and unbelievable that people these days dont even read signs. Whenever I go Jusco or Carrefour, I dont buy much myself and usually just a bottle of drink or a packet of cakes. I need to wait for a long line at the express lanes, some of them having trolleys full of groceries. What a sight!

You do see the cashier voice out to the lady to go the normal lane? Well, we need more cashiers that able to voice out or else everyone will just take advantage of any cashier lanes. By the way, isnt that how these people think only? Taking advantages and dont care much of signs.

Thanks. I rest my case.

shumaky said...

supermarket are overhyped..
I plant my produce.. herd my stock and make my wants.

ken said...

To shumaky: Yes, supermarkets are overhyped - thats true. You plant what you produce - thats true also.

What you said is true, but u mentioned is from production side, not from buying (consumer) side.