Friday, August 24, 2007

TAILGATING: FUN?

Many of the Malaysian drivers here tailgate almost everyday on highways, streets, and even on residential roads. Reasons? They think its fun! Rushing for anything? NO!! Then still, why do they drive like that?

Everyday, when I am on the roads, I always witness tailgaters along LDP and many major highways. Tailgate simply means driving one own's car to a minimal distance to the car in front at a speed of 100+ km/h. This will definitely scare the shit out of the driver in front. What to do? Either you are slow and hogging up the fast lane, then you will need to move to the middle lane safely and slowly - dont panic and make sure you look at the side mirrors first and signal. I noticed many dont even bother to look and signal and just change lane. This mostly is due to the frustration and panic of the driver caused by the tailgater behind.
Sometimes, eventhough the car in front is fast, the tailgater will always try to speed up faster and will usually flash or horn. What I noticed is some dont bother and drive on at his/her speed, some do stupid stunts such as braking abruptly, or braking slowly to slow down the tailgater.

Everyday I read in newspapers about road accidents. There is so much about road accidents that I dont usually care about it anymore. Why? Most of the accidents are caused by stupid and crazy stunt driving, negligent drivers, and of coz tailgaters. When I witness such accidents occur, I dont know why the public would even want to assist/help them when the accidents is caused by themselves. I would treat them like a "lesson learnt but too late to avoid." I usually dont care when tailgate accidents happen - its too late to stop them and they dont think. All they think of is that tailgating is fun.

Tailgating is a very stupid and deadly driving to do on the roads. If you are one of those tailgaters, make sure you think twice of driving in such manner and stop tailgating.

Drive safe, think of other drivers too on the roads.

3 comments:

Syaf said...

Excellent post! Yeah I hate being tailgated...so annoying.

ken said...

Excellent reply! I so-totally agree with you.

Anonymous said...

I would appreciate it, Ken, if you'd refrain from snapping pictures of lead-footed drivers like myself aimlessley driving home, be it a little faster than normal (probably because my bladder is full from all day in the office) because the LAST thing i need at the end of a long mind-numbing day among fellow enginerds like myself is a complete stranger screaming "TAILGATER!!!" out of his window and snapping a picture out of his digial camera then proceeding to speed away like a pansy. That's right... I know it was you, and I forgive you. Just know I wasnt intentionally tailgating, so quit it with the irradic and uncalled for behavior. Had I been a road-rager, I would've followed you and given you a large piece of my mind and possibly worse... you should know there are a lot of crazies in this town, I just happen to be normal and level-headed. But I didn't catch up to you and give you the finger like I wanted to. So i'm doing it now *F...Y..* There. I feel so much better.