Thursday, November 15, 2007

Steve Irwin Day

By: Veni

Today marks Steve Irwin Day. Of course in Australia that means a lot, especially at the Australia Zoo that Steve called home and which now, the responsibility of continuing its legacy, rests on the shoulders of Steve’s widow Terri and young daughter Bindi.

I’ve never met Steve Irwin but I was horrified to learn about his death after I had grown fond of his zany antics on telly. What I liked most about Steve, The Crocodile Hunter, was that he really revolutionized watching TV documentaries.

He made me want to care about scaly creatures, even though I may not want to go out and hug a croc and go so far as to call it a “beauty,” I wouldn’t be buying any crocodile hangbags.
Steve made wildlife shows not boring.

The fact that he died while filming a show is testimony to his infectious passion and his determination to ensure that people, his viewers, and the world were up to the mark when it came to understanding all the animals that live in our world.

He was never one of those celebrity figureheads, and even if he did do a movie he did it to raise awareness. It was never about Steve, it was always about the animals that he loved dearly, and it is people like him that we should remember and admire.

Steve may have been a ‘celebrity’ but never once have I ever read anything scandalous or controversial about him. Watching the memorial tapes of him right after his death it was equally touching to see him with his family.
He loved his wife, he loved his kids and thankfully Bindi has inherited his passion for wildlife and continues to follow in her father’s footsteps. There was some criticism about her taking over so young but it was her choice and I certainly don’t think her mother Terri forced her into it.
It was also amazing to see Terri and Steve together. They looked like they had such a great relationship, and I think even behind the cameras they were the same as they were on. Steve really gives guys a good name. And if you have to ask where have all the good men gone? I think, for this one time, I can say: to Heaven and yeah I'm proud to say that I know 2 of them in earth, my Dad and dear Krish.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Veni, its been quite some time since I hear from you. How have you been doing? The entry on Steve Irwin is really nice. He really is a great guy with crocodiles!! Lol.

Veni said...

Hi Ken,
Life is so weird without seeing you online and viewing your frequent post. Guess i miss all your disturbance, your questions and of course someone to bully. Anyway, am happy to hear about your new job. Glad you are happy there. Take care : )

ken said...

Wah! Life is weird without seeing me online ar? Are you sure? I guess I am easy to be disturbed and bullied by you huh.... hahaha... You havent see me disturbing and bullying you yet.. :P:P:P.... What questions are you referring to?

Yeah! The new job is great! Very very very busy...